Thursday, February 26, 2004

Back In Action

After what I believe was my first post-free day since we started this thing, I am back and better than ever! Or maybe I'm just back. I was doing some behind-the-scenes stuff for us yesterday, as well as being involved in a web design project for my brother. On top of that, I had a hockey game last night, so I was unfortunately forced to neglect my adoring public.

The first thing I want to touch on, and I know I'm a little late with this, is Turk Wendell's comments about Barry Bonds. In case you missed it (and you probably haven't because it's all over Sportscenter), Turk made some unflattering comments about Bonds and steroid use to the Denver Post the other day. In the article, Turk had the following to say:

"If my personal trainer, me, Turk Wendell, got indicted for that, there's no one in the world who wouldn't think that I wasn't taking steroids," the veteran Rockies reliever said. "I mean, what, because he's Barry Bonds, no one's going to say that? I mean, obviously he did it. (His trainer) admitted to giving steroids to baseball players. He just doesn't want to say his name. You don't have to. It's clear just seeing his body."

I'll be the first to admit that I loved Turk when he was a member of the Mets, but he is way out of line with these comments. Regardless of how you may feel about Bonds, you don't go to the media and shove a fellow player, and more importantly, a fellow union "brother" under a bus like that. Having been a Teamster myself at one time I'm not exactly swelling with union pride, but I do feel there is a need for the members of the MLBPA to show more respect for one another.

I'm no fan of Bonds, but he was totally justified in his expletive-laden response to Turk's Bush League comments.

*****


A couple of notes from Mets.com:

Glavine Gets Opening Day Nod

The Mets have announced that Tom Glavine will get the Opening Day start against the Braves on April 6th in Atlanta. Considering that I endured miserable traffic conditions and froze my ass off at Shea last year on Opening Day, only to see Glavine stink up the joint, you'd think I might be bitter about him getting the ball again this year, but I'm not. I actually think it's the right decision. The Mets are paying Glavine to be their ace, even if the reality is that Al Leiter or Steve Trachsel are probably more deserving of that tag, so he should be the guy that gets the start on Opening Day.

Zeile Plans To Call It Quits

Todd Zeile has said that this coming season, his sixteenth in the major leagues, will be his last.

"This is it," Zeile said "It's this year and home. It was negotiated and a pact was made. It might as well be signed in blood. It's a family pact that was previously decided when I wanted to pursue another year."

Are you sure we can't talk you into retirement any sooner, Todd?

*****


And finally, ladies and gentlemen, even though it's only Thursday the voting for "Jackass of the Week" is closed.

Your winner: Jon Heyman of Newsday:

Sheff Sings a Different Tune

*** Update ***


I knew Heyman was a jackass, but it's quite possible that he's a liar, too.

Heyman:

I wondered whether he called the union and that it forbade him from taking the test. They might have discouraged him, but that's all they could do. Union lawyer Gene Orza issued a statement to me, saying, "I did talk to Gary. He had no obligation to take the test. His only obligations are the ones set forth in the Basic Agreement."

Gene Orza (from today's NY Post):

"I told him there will be no drug test," Orza said. "I told him it would be in violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement if he took the test."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each country has its own way of accumulating income tax through the people [url=http://www.ibydh.co.uk/]12 month loans[/url] http://www.your12monthloans.co.uk/ Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) wrote any push back correspondence saying this letters weren't letters connected with needed for getting together with urgent demands http://www.ibydh.co.uk/

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home